Controlling Workplace Dust
20th August 2020
Do you work in an environment where there is a requirement to protect your workers from dust inhalation?
Silica is a natural dust substance found in most rocks and clay products such as bricks and concrete. Some of this dust may be fine enough to breathe in, and cause a serious harm to your health.
What should you be doing to protect your workforce?
You must comply with The Control or Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (COSHH) and carry out the following:
- Assess the risk to health through a risk assessment and keep a record
- Consider where practicable substituting material with a lower Respirable Crystalline Silica (RCS) content
- Provide the required PPE
- Maintain all equipment that is used
- Continuous dust measures in your working environment such as WEL for RCS
- Arrange appropriate health surveillance
To find a full report on how where dust can be found, how to protect your workers from it and what your employees should be doing, find out more here.